Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Would not washing my hair benefit my training?

Life has a way of reminding us of the futility of worry.  Take Monday for example.  I went out for a 14-mile run/walk, and was pretty happy with how it turned out.  Getting back, I worried a bit about if I had torqued anything I shouldn't have.  Injury seems to be my middle name of late, so I admit to holding my breath for a beat after every run - long runs especially - waiting to see if there is any fallout.

So, in the midst of this post-run breath-holding, while taking my post-run shower, I promptly knock over a bottle of conditioner right onto the base of my little piggy who had none..... And, he went wee, wee, eeeeee, screaming all the way home to my brain, which promptly registered - great, I think I just broke my toe. The irony of the situation is not lost on me, and the lesson was painfully driven home that, really, why worry about possible running injuries when I have projectile shampoo and conditioner bottles waiting to bombard unsuspecting toe swine?

Luckily, as it turns out, everything seems to be in order.  The impact of the bottle itself was very painful, and touching the toe and walking was pretty painful for a bit, too.  But then it all bruised up nicely and the hurt faded to just a painful memory.  Happily, I was able to run four miles yesterday with no fallout whatsoever.

So, I have to say, I feel a bit like I dodged a bullet on this one, but it does make me wonder if I should rethink the whole summer sandal/Birkenstock/flip-flop thing...  Given the number of times I have had a dog or child step or jump on my feet by accident (let alone inanimate objects!), I am wondering if a little more protection wouldn't be in order.  Steel toe boots, anyone?

Source
Have you ever had anything non-running-related sideline your training?

2 comments:

  1. I'm always so nervous about things like that! Especially if I'm close to a race date. Luckily, your toe isn't broken. I wonder what they do for a broken toe anyway. Splint it to the neighboring toe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what they do....kind of curious about that myself - although not enough to break a toe over. I knew someone who broke her toe and they couldn't do anything for it. It just had to heal on its own. It wasn't too long before she could run but not as far or fast for a while. Strangely, she said running hurt less than walking. I guess less toe flexion? :)

      Delete