Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why Running Has Got Me Down Today

Sometimes I grow tired of being average.

I look at all the amazing accomplishments my friends - not to mention Hubby - are making, and I mentally groan, wondering why I am not right there with them.  I have friends starting incredible journeys this year: shooting for a 100-miler and 50Ks, endeavoring on a career as a pacer, going for Marathon Maniacs, running Boston, gunning for 3:30 marathons, running for yearly mileage goals; the list goes on.

I smile for them, I support them, I cheer them on.  I celebrate them.

And ... I feel sorry for myself.  (How wrong is that?)

Maybe I am finally feeling the letdown after last year.  Last year was my year of accomplishment: five half marathons, a half marathon PR, the Pikes Peak Ascent, all rounded out nicely by my second full marathon ever, which was a PR, too.  But what have I done for myself lately?

This year has thus far been marred by injury and disappointment.  My May marathon has been dropped to a half marathon.  And, except for one huge event on the horizon, there are no little challenges along the way to sharpen my focus.

I know every year probably can't be the big year of accomplishment, but - damn - I miss that.

So, in order not to feel sorry for myself, I am going to list the 10 things - running-related - that this year IS offering me (in no particular order of importance):
  1. A chance to better learn my body through the injury and recovery process
  2. The chance to learn to embrace other forms of exercise besides running and build greater general fitness through cross-training
  3. A 5-Mile PR
  4. The best consistent running times so far - the promise of speed
  5. The chance to better get to know some of the great friends I have made these past couple of years
  6. The opportunity to give back by volunteering at some awesome events coming up, including a 50-mile ultra
  7. The chance to write more about the avocation I love - running - through this blog and two different newsletters
  8. The opportunity to be the best cheerleader I can be
  9. The best end-of-winter running weather I have ever seen
  10. And, then, that huge event on the horizon, which alternately looms darkly and radiates the promise of that elusive "accomplishment" that I seem to crave

So, really, it's time to stop feeling sorry for myself.  There are opportunities everywhere.  I just have to look for them and realize they may not always fall into the narrowly focused definition of "accomplishment" as I understand it.

Time to get doing!

Make me smile.  I want to hear what are the things you are grateful for today?

What will constitute an "accomplishment" for you this year?

Signed up for the Bondi Band giveaway?  Go here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment