Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

How to run the Scheels Run for Home tomorrow?

What to do, what to do...

Tomorrow I am running in the 11th annual Scheels Run for Home event.  This is something I run and/or help out with every single year, so when this year's race rolled around, I didn't even give it much thought.  When I was asked to help out with the kids' races, I said yes.  I have no idea what I am getting myself into with that, but what the heck.  New experiences are good.

Last week, having spaced my or my family's role in this event for the most part, I suddenly realized that I had not signed up E. or LG for the kids' runs.  They have done these events every year since they could walk, so to have them miss a year would have been tragic to me.  I quickly signed them up online, and while I was at it, I signed myself up for the 10K as well.  It's kind of a down week for me mileage-wise, so I would only be doing six miles anyway.

Well, apparently, by spacing registration, I missed the shirt cut-off for everyone.  I can't believe how much I just seem to have taken it for granted that this race and I would meet up somehow this year.  Luckily, as it turns out, though, the race director contacted me and told me that they would most likely have enough shirts for the kids and - because I am a volunteer - I would have gotten one anyway.  She also pointed out to me, however, that since I am a volunteer this year, I actually didn't have to pay to run the race.  Oops.  A little something for the cause, I guess, if I don't get that back.  Anyway, a very nice perk this year for volunteers!

So, everything is straightened out.  The lesson learned?  Just because you do a race every year for seven or eight years doesn't mean that you don't have to read the race information or sign up by the deadline.  Next year, I will try to be a little more on the ball.

So, now the question is what to do about the race?  Originally, if I didn't have a race this weekend, I would have just run the six miles at an easy 10:00 pace.  (It's supposed to be a down week after all, and I am moving next weekend's 10-miler up to Friday instead of Easter Sunday.)  I keep feeling, though, like I wouldn't mind seeing what I could do.  I think I have it in me to try for a 10K PR, but does that really fit into the plan?  Part of me wishes I had just signed up for the 5K.  I keep hearing about friends who PR'd another race last night.  Maybe there is something in the air?

What to do, what to do...

From 2010 Run for Home - weather should be similar this year, unlike
2011's freezing rain!
So, in a similar situation, would you go all out for the 10K or run conservatively?

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...What's your 10k PR? If it's a lot less than the 10 min/mile pace, I'd say don't do it and accept the taper week (taper madness is no fun...). If it's 8:30-9 per mile pace, go for it and it it's too physically draining or you just don't feel it by the 5k point, ease back to your scheduled 10 pace. Either way, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your well wishes! I think you had some good advice. I ended up doing an 8:53 average pace for the race after deciding to just go by feel. I like it when I can surprise myself. :)

      Delete
  2. I would say go by feel this race too, and you might surprise yourself again with a PR! Even when I tell myself that I am just running a race for fun, I'm really not. It's so hard for me to do that at any race. When I get to the starting line, I just want to go as fast as I can.

    ReplyDelete