Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sharing Motivation and Thank You

What a difference a day makes.

Yesterday, I wrote HERE about how I felt so sorry for myself, because my running life wasn't shaping up to be quite as exciting this year as it was last year.  I forced myself to list ten things that I was grateful for this running year, and then I walked away from it for the day.

Today, I feel so much better.  However, feeling better has less to do with the cathartic value of my list-making, and everything to do with one response I got to the post on my Facebook page.  The response reminded me that motivation comes in many forms, and that sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, and that really our very character is comprised of the net result of what we make of less-than-ideal situations.  In other words, something not going your way?  What are you going to do?  Curl up on the couch and cry or "make lemonade out of lemons?"  I have always considered myself the latter type, but sometimes even I need to be reminded that - while some things are out of my control - others are not, and in the end I am in charge of my own happiness.

I really appreciated the comment and the couple of others responses I got as well for another reason.  While I say over and over again that I am writing this blog for myself and it doesn't really matter if people follow along or not, the truth is that it does matter.  Part of the reason for writing this was so that I could interact with other runners in the community and further afield who share like interests and goals - to share motivation with others.  It means a lot to me to hear back from others, to share that motivation, swap stories, and get ideas.  So, thank you for the responses!

In other news:

I am on the planning committee for our local marathon's training runs this summer, and we had out first meeting of the year last night.  I love being a part of this group.  It's so much fun to put these things together and help others get their training in for their big fall goal events.  But what makes for good training runs?  I want to know what you think!

If you take part in any organized training run programs - not online, but rather live-and-in-person through a local club - what do you like most about the experience?  I would really like to know!

Also, don't forget the Bondi Band giveaway.  If you haven't signed up yet, you have until March 24.  Go HERE for details, my review, and to sign up.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about getting motivation from blogging. It is a great way to connect with other runners and share in their goods and bads of running too.

    Been trying to connect more in real life. It's hard to find the time to volunteer because my husband works very late every night, and you know, the kids. So I just try to recruit every person I meet to running. It's my public service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having so much fun meeting other bloggers online. I didn't realize what I was missing out on before I started!

      It is hard to find the time to do stuff in real life, but I am also grateful that I can do it a bit. I have made so many friends through my local running club and learned so much from them. It's hard to place a value on that. :)

      Delete