|Scary self-portrait before run - when hope|
still sprang eternal. Like the running medals?
Yeah, they're not mine. lol
So, because I am tired and my brain is not firing on all cylinders this morning .... here is a simple list of random thoughts I had from yesterday's run:
- I am not trained well enough to get that sub-2:00 PR that I have dreamed about. Oh sure, I have had a lot of runs - even up to a 10K - with a sub-9:00 pace, but I don't believe that is enough to carry me to a 9:00 pace for 13.1 miles.
- I hope the excitement of race day negates what I wrote in #1, but I am not counting on it.
- Although I feel I have trained smartly this time around, there is still serious room for improvement.
- As soon as I am able after this run, I am going to re-visit the whole speed work thing. I think it's the key to my improvement and I should not be afraid.
- I really regret letting my strength training slide the past couple of months. I am starting to notice old aches and pains creeping in. They generally subside with strength training, but come back when I neglect it. I KNOW this, but still find it hard to get into a routine with it all. (It's hard enough to find time to do the cardio!)
- I really need to work on eating more healthfully again. Veggie burgers and sweet potato fries - while healthier versions of not-so-good food - are still not so good for you, especially the night before a run.
- I really need to concentrate on getting good sleep this week - and not burning the candle at both ends, as I seem to be doing a lot lately
- I really prefer Clif Blocks to GUs, but GUs are so much more convenient to suck down on the run. I wonder if it would be too gross to just load my running skirt's pockets with Clif Blocks sans bag or packaging - to make for quicker access. Even putting the Blocks in little baggies still calls for a good deal of fumbling to open the baggies. Would that get sticky after a while? Or be too gross to contemplate eating?
- Why is it that with the temp at 50 degrees, I still get hot? Ugh.
- I need a massage. My muscles are so tight right now that I feel I am walking around like a body builder on steroids (and not because of huge muscles getting in the way - more just from being stiff).
- I wonder if I could run in my running skirt commando.... Are they made for that?
- I hope the Kalamazoo Marathon knows what it is doing with GU Brew.
Regarding that last one, on yesterday's run I decided to try GU Brew, the beverage they will be serving on the Kalamazoo course, and I have to say that I am a little concerned. The taste was okay, and I suppose it did what it is supposed to do. However, mixing it was a PITA. I admit I did not follow the instructions to a T. They said to pour the powder into a half filled water bottle and shake. I poured the mix in first, added the water, and shook...
...And watched as the mix sat on the bottom like sludge...
...Even after several minutes of working the sludge with a fork to break it up, I was still left with a little chunk that I ended up throwing away, because I was afraid it would clog my water bottle. Anyway, the stuff just didn't dissolve easily. I have visions of no electrolyte replacement beverage on the course, because it is sitting like taffy on the bottom of the dispenser buckets. Oh well.... I am sure I just did it wrong.
So, that's it. Any thoughts on the above? Please share!
Picture of the day:
|It's kind of nice having E.|
be the only girl on her flag
football league. She's easy
to spot in all her pink.