Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter Wipeout

"Oh, this is going to hurt."  That was the thought going through my head as I made my painfully-slow, but all-too-fast descent towards the cement during my most-recent face plant episode.

Yes, it's true.  Unbelievable.

I always joke that I can't run on the trails in the weeks leading up to a major race, because I always trip.  However, maybe I need to revise that now to include the roads as well.

During my last long-run of this training cycle - an eight-miler the week before the marathon - I managed to trip on a lip in the sidewalk and send myself sprawling.  Luckily for me, I somehow managed to catch myself with my hand and then roll onto my shoulder.  So, except for some bruising in the shoulder today, I actually don't feel too bad.

This brings up another thought, though, which is this....how is it possible that the only two times in my running history that I have completely wiped out in icy conditions during winter running have not happened on ice but rather on a perfectly dry patch of cement?  It's embarrassing.

Sigh....so now I am not sure what to do.  If I can't run on trails before races, and I can't run on roads before races, what does that leave me?  I thought the indoor track until my friend (and the only witness to my wipeout) pointed out that she has managed to trip on the track.  Hmm, the elliptical?  I am almost afraid of flinging myself off the machine at this point.

So, there you have it.  I think the only logical conclusion is that I should give up all activity the week before a race....perhaps just plan on sitting on the couch and eating chocolate.  Although, with my luck, I would probably choke on it.  Well, there's some food for thought.

Happy Running!

7 comments:

  1. Yikes!! This weekend I was running with 2 friends who are running Disney. One of them had fallen in her driveway before getting to our meeting spot and landed on her elbow. We ran the 8 miles, she went home and it hurt so badly she had it looked at. Broken.

    So she'll be the one in the lovely Cinderella blue sling.

    That's my biggest fear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Now you have me worried about that last bit of winter running I have on Wednesday. Methinks I will be super paranoid slow that day. lol I can't believe your friend ran 8 miles with a broken elbow. Goodness! Glad she can still run the race, though. Hope she heals quickly!

      Delete
  2. That is some bad luck, there are apparently no safe things the week before a race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for me, nothing that depends on me being graceful. :)

      Delete
  3. Not good at all! I went through a spell a year ago when I fell three times in the house. I'm just glad I wasn't running and I didn't hurt myself too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! The house? So far, that is my one safe haven. I would hate to give that up. Glad you were okay, though! I think I am personally going to look into running friendly football pads... :)

      Delete
  4. Howdy! Does the frequency of updates of your site depend on specific things or you create articles when you have an inspiration or free time on that? Waiting forward to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete