Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Winter is Still Here and Friday Roundup

Captain's log, stardate 66744.1.  

It's a strange planet we've landed on.  According to our records and local lore, seasonal temperatures and meteorological forecasting should reflect spring - a time of warming trends in the weather pattern and gentle, growth-promoting rains for the local flora. Instead, we have found nothing but icy conditions and persistent snowfall.  It's almost as if we've gone back in time....

Have I just outed myself as a nerd?  I still miss the fact that I cannot watch Star Trek.  Sigh.

So, this is the sight that greeted me today for my run.


In need of a short four-miler before heading to a meeting for our running club, I really wasn't sure which way to go....outdoors - treadmill - outdoors - treadmill?  I actually dressed for a run outside this morning but after discussing it with my two wise backseat sages on the way to school, mentally I opted for the treadmill.  Because, as the two sages said, I wouldn't want to slip before my race Sunday.  (Yes, my children may never learn to make a real living, but they will surely know the ins and outs of a runner's concerns.)  However, after dropping them off I decided I was already dressed for outdoor success, so I might as well suck it up and get to it.  Plus, after a friend texted me about how my last blog post had convinced her to take her run outside this morning rather than doing the treadmill, I thought it would be the epitome of wimpiness for me to hit the mill.

So, out I went, and it wasn't so bad.  The footing actually turned out to be pretty good, and the snowfall was pretty.  I ended up following the mapped route I had made up for Wednesday's club fun run.  I am not usually the map meister so this was my first foray into running cartography.  I didn't do too bad if I say so myself.  I did have to cut the run short, though, as I was running late (ba dum bum) for my meeting. So, in the end, I logged 3.45 miles.  But my average pace was 9:35 or so.  Not bad.

While out trekking through the snow, I decided that if nothing else the white stuff was good for one thing - footprint photographing.  I have had no fewer than three people advise me to do this, but for as long as this winter has lasted I have not remembered to do so.  So, today I did.  The idea is of course to see how your feet are landing.  I am not exactly sure what I am looking for, but I know things are not supposed to look like they are on a single line.

My prints are the ones front and center in the picture. See how I look like I am running on a
tightrope.
Here I am trying to not run on a balance beam, but as you can see I don't gain much.
One nice thing I came up with this winter were my SmartWool running sock mitts.  A great use for old socks - just cut off the heel, cut a small slit for your thumb and you are good to go in relative warming comfort.


Of course, speaking of SmartWool and the like, I am really hoping this is the last day for wearing this type of clothing.  As much as I like it, its time is past as far as I am concerned.


After getting home after the run and a latte badness at my morning meeting, I was really looking forward to some leftover homemade soup, so it was unfortunate that I accidentally gave LG my portion of soup while I ate his.  You'd think a person would notice this before they were done eating, but I didn't.  It's a good thing I made a huge blender full of smoothie to go along with it!

Spinach, baby kale, carrots, celery, kiwi, ginger, frozen mixed berries, frozen strawberries,
frozen pineapple, banana, cherry juice and water.
FRIDAY ROUNDUP:

Saturday: 18-mile run
Sunday: 2-mile walk with Miss Dog
Monday: 60-minutes elliptical
Tuesday: Rest (core work)
Wednesday: Run/Walk 1 hour and 40 minutes
Thursday: Rest (core work)
Friday: 3.45 mile run

Total Mileage: About 32 miles

1 comment:

  1. Star Trek "Into Darkness" will hit the theatres soon, then we can run to the theatre to see it!

    ReplyDelete