Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

After three weeks off, first runs inconclusive

So, I have tried running twice this week, such as it was, and unfortunately, nothing right now is very conclusive.

So, after my elliptical session on Wednesday, I crammed my feet into my beloved Vibram 5 Fingers - the shoes I wore for three- and four-mile runs on the trails this past summer - and endeavored to run five minutes around the indoor track.  Not a good idea.  The first four minutes or so were fine, but then my calves started aching.  That wasn't so bad, but the sharp shooting pain I got through my right foot was.  In fact, it was a show-stopper.  I aborted my failed attempt of a run and limped off the track, completely disheartened and befuddled.  I don't like to curse too much (anymore), but WTF?

I mean, I know my right foot has been weirdly sore.  For the past month and a half or so, it constantly feels like the bones need to crack, but they won't.  I keep having this feeling like if they would just realign themselves, everything would be okay.  But they refuse to cooperate.  Ah well.  Just another woe added to the tale of my recent spate of injuries.

The foot has been a secondary concern next to the shin, because the pain hasn't been as acute.  It never hurt me while running before, but it was always a bit sore and stiff throughout the day otherwise.  Wednesday's failed attempt of a run was the first time I had ever noticed pain while running.  For the most part, during these past FOUR weeks (yikes!) of cross-training, the foot has gotten progressively better.  It doesn't bug me most of the time; just some of the time now.  So, Wednesday's run was a bit of a surprise.

Some good news, however, comes from my friend the shin.  After Sunday's power walk, I thought I had undone all the gains I had made during these weeks off.  Luckily, that doesn't seem to be the case.  Monday and Wednesday's elliptical sessions and Tuesday and Thursday's rowing have elicited only a little tenderness, but nothing that lingers.  I am very excited about that.  It is still not 100 percent, but it feels pretty darn close.

I did go see one of my favorite PTs for a free consult yesterday, and I am starting to feel a little sheepish.  You know you are starting to overstep the bounds of free-consult propriety, when the PT adds "See you next month?" to her good-bye.  I know she really loves me, but - really - at what point is she wanting to tell me just come in to the office already?  She's too polite to say.

Anyway, I outlined all the aches and pains that I was having, and her response on the shin?  Power walking was not the smartest thing to do.  Um, thanks.  I am always happy to have my husband's opinions validated.  Seriously, though, she said I would have been better off doing a 4-minute run to a 1-minute walk instead of the reverse.  In any case, the conclusion?  Continue doing what I am doing: cross-friction massage and ice.  As to the foot, that is a harder nut to crack, apparently.  I can start getting back into running, but take it easy.  The toe shoes are not advised at this point, and I am to start with a moderate run/SLOW walk.

So, today, I think I will give it a go.  I am scheduled to do the elliptical again, but I think I'll add a bit of running to the mix to see what happens.  I can't not run anymore.  I just can't.  And, at this point, if things are really killing me after trying to run, then it definitely is time to go see someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment