Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Strength of my resolution - or not

Happy New Year, Everyone!  I hope you had a safe, fun time celebrating the new year.  Hubby and I did our usual stay in and watch the New York ball drop on TV, then hang out until the official Central time midnight hour.  I know, we're no fun, but I have never been a big New Year's celebrator.  Maybe once the kids are older, we'll get back into trying to go out.  However, for now, I am content to ring in the New Year from the comfort of my own home.

So, with the start of the new year, I know I should be listing all the resolutions I have come up with to kick off 2012.  Anyone who knows me, however, knows that I am not a big fan of resolutions, so you won't find me all starry-eyed or determinedly making promises to myself that I won't be able to keep.

Resolutions to me just seem a recipe for failure.  They may work for some, but to me if you are going to change something, just do it.  Don't set a start date.  Setting a start date to a resolution implies an end date to me, and why set yourself up for that mentality?

So, true to form, I started my new strength program on December 31 - why wait until the 1st?  It's been a long time since I have done these exercises consistently, but I am hoping that I can get back into it and make it stick.  I managed to do a couple of sets of 10 reps of each exercise.  I didn't start out with the whole repertoire I was doing a few months ago, but I thought I'd start out slowly and see if I can manage a shortened program before jumping into the whole thing.  Basically, the exercises break down as follows right now:

The great slant board my dad made me.
They retail for about $70 online.
He was able to make this one for
about a tenth of the cost!
For the legs:
  • Side lift with resistance band
  • Clams
  • Side step with band
  • Deadman lift
  • One-legged squat (tapping back on chair)
  • Eccentric squats on a slant board
  • Straight leg lift
For the arms:
  • Bicep curls
  • Tricep lifts
  • One-arm rows
  • Plank
For my efforts, I noticed that my hips and butt were feeling it the next morning, which I think is great.  As I get stronger (and my shin feels better), I'll add the lower leg exercises - calf raises, etc.  

Hooping for the health of it

Yesterday, I also did a couple of minutes utilizing the newest addition to my exercise equipment arsenal - a hula hoop.  Strange, but true.  I got this weighted hula hoop a couple of weeks ago from a lady who makes them locally.
My big-girl sized hula hoop.  Notice the Packer
colors.  Go Pack Go!
We were actually looking at them for the kids, but when I mentioned that I have never been able to hula hoop in my life, the lady convinced me to give it a try based on her instructions.  Well, guess what!  I can hula hoop after all!  Within a minute, she had me hula hooping to my heart's content.  It didn't matter if the hoop were weighted, unweighted, or which direction I was going.  I could DO it!  I was so impressed by that and the amount of core work I seemed to be getting that I bought one for myself.  So far, I am only doing a couple of minutes a day hooping in each direction, but that is enough to feel I am working my core.  Of course, this won't be my only core exercise, but it probably will be the one that is the most fun. And, I swear, it seems to work that middle jiggle more than anything else I have tried.  Plus, it throws a little cardio in there, too.

So, that's my story, and I am sticking to it.  I don't make resolutions, but I am making a suspiciously timed strength program addition to my fitness routine.  What types of resolutions or end-of-year changes do you make?  Whatever they are, good luck in following through, and remember just because you fall off whatever wagon you put yourself on doesn't mean you can't get right back to it whenever you are ready!  Don't schedule it, just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment