Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You mean I won't melt if I run the day after my long run?

So, to kick things off I have apparently failed in my first attempt to write an Inspiration Monday post.  I guess I could say I was uninspired, but that wouldn't be true (although it would be funnier).  It was simply a busy day, and finding the time to write the blog just didn't happen.  I am still inspired to do it, but I am also inspired to wait until next Monday.  Ooh, the wait will just heighten the anticipation, I know.

In the meantime, I can report that I had my first post-long run, back-to-back running success.  I don't count last week's back-to-back runs because they felt utterly miserable.  This past Sunday and yesterday (Monday), however, felt good!

To put things in the proper framework here, I went into my long run on Sunday - the longest I have done since the marathon at 17 miles - a little worried that I wouldn't even make it the half mile to the first rendezvous point (where I would meet the first of three friends I would be running with).  In fact, I had suffered all week from some ache or pain or other, and I thought for sure I would be turning around in defeat by the time I reached the end of my block.  That wasn't the case, however.  And, really, except for that fumbling, bumbling bit I did trying to get my phone out of my pocket on the way to said meet-up (managing to drop my water bottle while not managing to actually answer the phone), the run went all around fantastic. (By the way, I came to the conclusion that carrying a phone is only so handy as you can actually access it.)

Despite running late (get it? running? late? - my daughter made up that joke) and feeling somewhat rushed to get to the second meet-up point on time, the rest of the run was rather uneventful and the time passed quickly.

I went into Sunday's run completely intimidated by my running partners, who actually do their long runs together most of the time.  All three of them are faster than I am, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up.  Or, worse yet, that I wouldn't be able to keep up but that I would hurt myself trying.  As it was, though, they either took pity on me and slowed their pace, or it was just a good fit for me that day.  I ended up running 14 miles with the ladies before heading out to do the final three on my own.  Those last three miles were a bit of a struggle, but I did them.

The rest of Sunday was taken up with the excitement that E. was in the process of losing her first tooth, which finally came out Monday morning.  We spent the afternoon alternately being grossed out my her tooth gymnastics and playing games to pass the time.  It was a really good, relaxing (read: not moving around) kind of day.

When Monday dawned I was aware of the fact that I had five miles on the schedule, but my body was telling me to hobble to the couch and sit down instead.  Seriously, talk about stiff!  Everything was having a hard time getting revved up first thing in the morning.  I forced myself to pull on some running gear, though, and after dropping the kids off at the bus, I headed to the gym to see about running from there.  I opted for a three-part out-and-back course with the idea that if I couldn't run the miles, then at least I could do the elliptical or some other piece of indoor equipment.  I even dressed in layers for the occasion in case that became necessary.  As it turned out, though, those extra layers weren't needed.

For the first time in a month or more of attempted Monday (post-long run) runs, I actually completed my scheduled mileage - five, to be exact - and felt good doing it.  I told my Hubby later that if anything blows up on my body it won't be because it first started bothering me while I was running.  The first half mile or so was a little slow and stiff, but then I just felt like everything loosened up and was actually happy with the decision to run.

So, maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.  I had been worried about boosting my running from three days a week to four, but with yesterday's success, I feel a bit more confident with the decision.  I am still aware that I need to listen to my body and take each day as it comes, but I am happy to report I may actually be doing something that works.

Happy Running!


  1. Glad you had a great run! I think it helps the body recover to have an easy run after long run day, I don't always run after a long run day but I try to.

    1. I think I am just starting to learn that! :)