Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Ready to run, but happy to walk

I am getting antsy to get training again. Not just run. Train. It's hard to see
My Pearl Izumis want to run!
your training plan go down in flames. What's worse, however, is feeling like you are ready to put out the fire and move on but you still have to wait just a wee bit more.

It's been a week (and a day) since I had that pesky mole removed on my foot. Thankfully, the news that came back was good: no further treatment is necessary; they removed all the "abnormal" cells. Hooray! So, now I am ready to get back into things again - to pick up the shattered pieces of my good intentions and put them back together. But wait! I have to allow the skin more time to heal. It wouldn't do to bust the stitches at this juncture and have to start all over AGAIN. So, here I sit. Getting antsy.

I would not say I have been the best post-surgical patient. Although I have not run at all, I did only give the foot three days off before I started cross-training again. Here's what my week post incision has looked like:
Tuesday: Minor surgical procedure/rest/DUH!
Wednesday: REST
Thursday: REST
Friday: REST
Saturday: 30 minutes rowing; 2-mile walk
Sunday: 60 minutes elliptical; 30 minutes recumbent bike
Monday: 45 minutes rowing
Tuesday: REST
Wednesday (today): 30-minute walk
I hope to follow up that 30-minute walk this morning with another 30-45 minutes this evening.

With the incision being on my foot, and with the fact that I only look at it once a day when I change the bandage, I have to go completely by feel in regards to whether or not I am "pushing things." At this point, though, it does seem that recovery is going well. In fact, except for the longer workout on Sunday (when I definitely could feel the stitches tugging towards the end), I feel fine.

So, here I sit and kind of sort of keep things going with cross-training. Otherwise, I have been using this time to get things a bit more organized around the house, catching up with appointments, meeting up with friends when I can, playing referee between the kiddos, and filling out paperwork for another temp job I have coming up in another couple of weeks. In fact, it's been busy enough that I wonder how I will fit the running in again once I get the all clear. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.

So, in the meantime, Northeast Wisconsin is enjoying a beautiful early, pre-Spring thaw.  Here are some pictures from my walk this morning:


 Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment