Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Met My Goals This Week!

So, in an effort to become more organized - in all areas of my life - I thought I would add a couple of theme days to my blog.  I am not talking Casual Friday here or Meatless Monday, although I suppose I could do those too.  No, these are just a couple of ideas to keep me on track with blog writing, which I enjoy, and give me a couple of days where I don't have to wow the world with my writing brilliance.  Housekeeping days, if you will.

So, what will they be?  Well, seeing as today is the end of the work week for most, although - woe is me - a SAHM's job never ends, I thought this would be a good day for a weekly roundup of what my exercise week has looked like.  This is a running blog, after all.  The other theme day I thought I could do is Inspirational Monday.  I have been thinking a lot about intentions and inspiration lately, and Monday is as good of a day as any to hash out that type of topic.  I mean, who doesn't need a little inspiration on Monday?  So, we'll see how it goes.

Seeing as it is Friday, I am definitely starting with the easier of the two topics, so lucky you.  If you're still reading and haven't clicked to something else, it's time to look at my week and see how it went.

FRIDAY ROUNDUP

Synopsis:  I did well! I met all of my training goals for the week.  I didn't miss any workouts - amazingly, and I feel back on track with the "schedule."  So, here's the breakdown:
Saturday: 30-minutes rowing, 5277 meters
Sunday: One-hour-and-forty-minute run around a .10-mile track, resulting in about 10 miles, I hope.
Monday: 5 miles outside
Tuesday: REST
Wednesday: 4 miles on track
Thursday: 6 miles on the treadmill. (10-min. warmup and cool down at 10:42 pace with 50 minutes in between doing 4-minute intervals at 6 mph alternated with 1-minute intervals at 3.5 mph at 10% grade - that's a walk; I didn't run that slowly)
Today: REST
The Sunday run is of course amazing in that I actually completed it successfully.  I woke up that morning fully expecting to run outside only to discover that it was -4 degrees.  Oops, when had that happened?  Luckily, a friend of mine suggested running at the indoor track together, otherwise I don't think I would have done it.  Also luckily for me A. has been blessed with the confounding ability to converse while running.  She is also a professional pacer, so from my point of view, when struggling through an otherwise mind-numbing run, it was invaluable to have her along.  While I struggled with my own thoughts of gee, this must be the 80th time we've gone around this track, she kept up a steady patter of distracting conversation that required little from me except the occasional gasped reply.  It was wonderful!

The way my training schedule is set up this go-around, I am actually running four days a week - instead of the three I was used to - and they are all set up back-to-back, as you can see. So, getting up Monday to go running, I was surprised to find that although a bit tired I was ready to tackle the five miles on the schedule, and it went alright.

I will be very curious to see how this goes.  I was used to doing back-to-back runs from before, as my mid-week runs were on Wednesdays and Thursdays then too.  I handled that just fine, but now with the  back-to-back runs after the long runs, I can tell that things will be a bit harder.  I know since I am training for an ultra the idea is to get me used to running on tired legs.  And, technically, I do have more recovery time between running segments of my week.  The good news is that I have felt both physically and mentally ready to tackle my second days of running so far. The downside I am noticing is that I have more aches and pains after that second day of running.  For example, this past Monday and Tuesday, I noticed a bit of soreness in my IT band.  By Wednesday it was gone, though, and I ran through Wed. and Thurs. just fine.  Last night and this morning, though, I am now noticing a bit of soreness in my left knee area.  Something tells me it will be okay by Sunday, though, so I hope I am right.  I guess being in my 40s, I have to expect some discomfort, and I am okay with that.

As long as it goes away by my next running day.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment