Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

So, what if the shoe DOESN'T fit? Back to the drawing board, I guess

So, the last time I posted something here, I was enjoying a glass of Three-Buck Chuck.  This time it is Mad Housewife.  If there is anything to be taken from that, it is that I obviously choose my wines based on name, and they invariably tend to be cheap.  There is nothing wrong with that, is there?  Not in my book, especially since they both taste good.

So, unfortunately, I have encountered shoe failure - not once, but two times.  After posting about how excited I was about my recent shoe purchases, I am almost embarrassed to say that after wearing both now, I don't like either.  Sigh.  This is not unusual.  I tend to be EXTREMELY picky when it comes to running shoes; the least little thing can set me off on a ramble of a shoe's shortcomings.  But, I swear, I really tried this time to be forgiving.  I wasn't going to be picky.  I was going to give the shoes a chance, let them argue their right to shod my feet, give them time to prove themselves.  But, ... I can't.  I tried.  I really did, but both pairs are going back.

First, the New Balance WT 110s.  I was completely sold on these puppies.  I would have thought given my love affair with my 101s - the older model - that my acceptance of the 110s, especially in light of the glowing reviews I had read, would be a given.  But that wasn't the case.  In a rare moment of instant clarity, I knew as soon as I slipped on the new footwear that it was not meant to be.  The size I am accustomed to seemed too big, and there is something about the footbed, too.  I can feel the curve of the footbed rubbing against the outside of my feet - even while walking.  Not ideal.  So, back they will go.

The Brooks PureConnect Flow's flaws were not so immediately apparent.  I wore them in the store and liked them.  I wore them for 25 minutes on the track on Sunday and liked them.  I wore them for a 45 minute run yesterday, and .... I didn't like them.  

After about 35 minutes, I noticed a soreness developing at the base of my big toe on one foot (my bigger foot, as it happens; my feet are NOT created equal).  That quickly escalated into a "keep-this-up-lady-and-I-will-certainly-scream" type of pain.  I realized that I could not move my toes on that foot around as much as I would like. I couldn't flex my toes upwards, and I couldn't spread them out in the shoe at all.  It was as if the big toe and the next toe over were taped together.  Now, I know I am a picky shoe buyer, but this seemed over-the-top problematic.  If I didn't have such wide flippers for feet, I am sure this wouldn't be a problem, but as it is, well, ... it is a problem.  So, these shoes are going back too.  I am now pursuing a new prospect that I have high hopes for.  More on that later once I have had a chance to try them out.

So, besides the shoes, exercise and running have only been going so-so this week.  I can't say I have had a lot of oompf, and I have had some more weird pains here and there.  The shin is still an issue, and it has now been determined that besides a tight quad and IT band, my calves (previously untested) are also extremely tight.  This is all after a BRILLIANT long-"run" on Sunday - 45 minutes of running followed by an hour of the elliptical.  So, I don't know what's going on.  I am scheduled to see another PT tomorrow to get a second look at everything.  With any luck, she'll see something that PT #1 is missing.  Either that, or I am just crazy.  It's hard to tell at this point.  Peering at things through the goggles of a Mad Housewife, I imagine anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment